Stolen royal jewellery found in bin marked ”BOMB”

1 av 12 | Foto: Jamshid Jamshidi/Aftonbladet
The stolen jewellery was found monday night.

avPetter J Larsson

NYHETER

The Swedish royal jewellery that was stolen in July last year has been found in a suburb north of Stockholm, in a bin with the word ”BOMB” written on it, according to Aftonbladet’s sources.

Police confirm that last night’s findings are the two crowns and an orb that were taken from the cathedral in Strängnäs, 67 km west of Stockholm, in a smash-and-grab attack on 31 July 2018, attracting worldwide media attention.

According to Aftonbladet’s sources, a security guard had spotted a bin that looked suspicious and found the word ”BOMB” written on it. On closer inspection, the guard found King Karl IX’s stolen funeral regalia.

”The theory that they’re working with is that the regalia has been dumped at the location recently. There is no witness evidence suggesting exactly when, but probably during the evening or night,” the source said.

Police search for accomplices

The discovery has halted the trial of a 22-year-old man, who was arrested on 12 September and has been in custody for several months and is therefore highly unlikely to be the person who dumped the regalia in the bin, according to the alleging police theory.

Police will go through surveillance footage shot in the area to see if people potentially involved in the theft have been caught on tape.

The suspect, whose blood was found at the crime scene, has admitted to stealing the bicycle and boat used in the theft. However, he has denied any involvement in stealing the 17th-century treasures. It is worth pointing out that the 22-year-old’s registered address is in the same suburb north of the Swedish capital where the jewellery was found. Prosecutor Isabelle Bjursten declined to comment on whether the suspect played any part in finding the regalia.

”I can only confirm that the objects have been found, which we are very happy for,” Bjursten said.

Trial halted

The trial at Eskilstuna crown court will resume on Friday 15 February. By then, police and prosecutor will have carried out a number of new investigative measures, including a technical examination of the returned regalia.

Authorities will also try to establish how the jewellery ended up where it was found as well as determine who put them there, according to Bjursten. The prosecutor refused to speculate on the possibility that the 22-year-old placed the goods in the bin.

”The defendant has been locked in at the Kronoborg jail with full restrictions,” she said.

Aftonbladet has contacted Filippo Bassini and Christer Nilsson at the police’s national operative unit, NOA, as well as the 22-year-old’s lawyer Johan Eriksson, for comment.

ARTIKELN HANDLAR OM